Older articles »
|Boston pension votes to fire money manager Fisher, withdrawals surge toward $1 billion|
Added: 16.10.2019 22:03 | 3 views | 0 comments
The City of Boston's retirement board on Wednesday voted unanimously to end its relationship with money manager Kenneth Fisher, whose firm has lost almost $1 billion in assets after allegations he made disparaging remarks about women last week.
|Boston Mayor asks pension to end relationship with Fisher Investments|
Added: 16.10.2019 21:18 | 4 views | 0 comments
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh on Wednesday said he has asked the city's retirement board to end its relationship with money manager Kenneth Fisher, who is under fire for comments he made at a recent investment conference.
|Chef and Food Network personality Carl Ruiz's cause of death revealed: report|
Added: 16.10.2019 20:56 | 3 views | 0 comments
Nearly a month after his passing, Carl Ruiz’s cause of death has been confirmed.
|'More than just money': Chicago parents warm to teachers' contract demands|
Added: 16.10.2019 19:03 | 15 views | 0 comments
Carmen Rodriguez, a life-long Chicagoan who lives on the city's Southeast Side, sends her two children to a predominately Hispanic elementary school where she says teachers are struggling with class sizes of up to 40 students.
|The Best of Community-Based Tourism in Cambodia|
Added: 16.10.2019 18:41 | 4 views | 0 comments
If you're interested in community-based tourism in Cambodia, this quick round-up of the best performances, hotels, shops and more is an excellent place to start.
“Community-based tourism” is a hot topic in Cambodia, where many worthy projects compete with more conventional—and even downright crooked—enterprises in a rapidly growing economy. The below are guaranteed ways to put your money toward a good cause.
Sights and Performances
- , located near Banteay Srei, is managed by a Canadian NGO, with proceeds going to a home for impoverished children.
- is a rewarding attraction in Siem Reap that trains underprivileged students to become circus performers.
- in Siem Reap hosts shadow puppet theater shows performed by kids from the Krousar Thmey NGO.
- is an NGO that stages excellent traditional dance performances in the garden of the National Museum in Phnom Penh.
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tours are available through the or both of which support conservation efforts.
- Khmer Architecture Tours in Phnom Penh are offered by the excellent an NGO that promotes and documents modern Khmer architecture.
Hotels and Homestays
- sponsors higher education for all its staff and some of its tuk-tuk drivers.
- , near Siem Reap’s airport, provides training to young Cambodians, and visitors are welcome to stay or eat here.
- , in Siem Reap, works closely with several social organizations to promote responsible tourism and hosts apsara dance performances organized by the NGO Sangkheum Center for Children.
- is an excellent hotel in Siem Reap that runs a foundation to support projects in education, business, and health care.
- provides income for local families and allows visitors a window into Khmer life.
- Sala Bai, in Siem Reap, trains young Cambodians in the restaurant business.
- The Haven is a Swiss-run restaurant in Siem Reap that employs disadvantaged young adults.
- Common Grounds is an American-style coffeehouse in Siem Reap whose profits go to a number of NGOs in Cambodia.
- Footprint Café, in Siem Reap, donates 100 percent of its net profits to the local community as grants for educational projects.
- Kinyei Café is an NGO affiliate that trains local youth in Battambang.
- Jai Baan Restaurant, in Battambang, is NGO-managed and offers gourmet dining.
- , in Siem Reap, sells products made by underprivileged Cambodians.
- , in Siem Reap, produces great pottery and reinvests its profits into local job creation and cultural preservation.
- trains and employs rural, in some cases disabled, tailors in its Siem Reap shop, which purchases and recycles waste from the community to make its products.
- , in Phnom Penh, offers employment to vulnerable Cambodians, who produce jewelry and toys
- , in Phnom Penh, support projects in the Cambodian and Vietnamese countryside
Related Travel Guide
[hbg-title isbn="9781640492493" summary="The ancient temples at Angkor Wat are unlike anything else on earth. Step back in time and take the trip of a lifetime with Moon Travel Guides."/]
|Fourth suspect surrenders in campaign-finance case tied to Rudolph Giuliani associates|
Added: 16.10.2019 18:07 | 8 views | 0 comments
David Correia and three other men, including two Giuliani associates, are charged with conspiring to funnel foreign money to U.S. political campaigns.
|Hurricane Dorian victim searches for his old life|
Added: 16.10.2019 17:28 | 1 views | 0 comments
Howard Armstrong told the world how Hurricane Dorian took his wife a month ago in the Bahamas. He's still finding only scraps of what his life used to be.
|Shaq Says Paying for Jazmine Barnes' Funeral 'Was Right Thing to Do'|
Added: 16.10.2019 17:25 | 6 views | 0 comments
Shaquille O'Neal says the shooting death of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes is such a sad tragedy, he couldn't imagine the family having to raise money for the funeral ... and that's why he stepped in. "With something that terrible to have...
|Apple's Worthy iPhone 8 Models May Languish in X's Shadow|
Added: 16.10.2019 17:18 | 0 views | 0 comments
Reviews of Apple's new iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have been laudatory. However, the reviewers can't seem to get their minds off the jewel of the Apple universe, the iPhone X. Both the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are "awesome" and better than last year's models -- but iPhone shoppers who want to be part of the future will save their money and buy an iPhone X later in the year, suggested reviewer David Pierce.
|Bodhi Linux With Moksha Is Truly Enlightening|
Added: 16.10.2019 17:18 | 12 views | 0 comments
Bodhi Linux 4.3.1's implementation of the Enlightenment desktop, released late last month, continues this distro's tradition of providing an awesome desktop computing platform for office or home. When I last reviewed Bodhi Linux, I was attracted to the relatively new desktop environment. I recently installed the latest version on new hardware, and Bodhi Linux did not disappoint.